Image: Meta/Immersive Alchemy
David Attenborough’s VR film “Conquest of the Skies” traces the evolution of flight now in high definition, 180 degree stereoscopic.
Micro Monsters and Kingdom of Plants are among the most impressive VR movies in Meta Quest 2. Both are inspired by documentaries of the same name by renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough, suitable for virtual reality with great technical finesse. In virtual reality, insects and killer plants appear even more vivid, larger and more menacing than on TV.
These two VR and First Life films are now followed by another collaboration between Meta and production house Alchemy Immersive. Conquest of the Skies covers the evolution of flying creatures From prehistory to the present. Like the previous films, this production is inspired by an older 3D documentary by David Attenborough.
Scenes old and new show the evolution of flight
Conquest of the Skies was nine months in development in three VR movies Duration of 6 to 8 minutes. Meta promises “face-to-face encounters with prehistoric creatures, insects, reptiles, and birds.” The VR movie is a mix of true stereoscopic film and new 3D animations of flying lizards and past Earth periods.
“A considerable part of conquest of the sky was created from archived material that was shot for a completely different medium than the past,” says director Lewis Ball on the Oculus blog.
“We reviewed hours upon hours of archived stereoscopic material we had at our disposal, and carefully selected the key creatures and stories that we believe captured the most significant moments in the progression of aviation. Each shot was selected with an immersive presentation in mind, only making the final cut when we were certain it could be improved and presented in a way that would do the immersive format justice.
New 3D animated scenes complement carefully edited archival footage transporting audiences to prehistoric forests and canyons where dinosaurs lived.
Watch Conquest of the Skies in High Quality
Here’s how you can watch Conquest of the Skies with Meta Quest 2 & Pro:
- Open Meta Quest TV. If you can’t find the VR movies directly in the selection, enter David Attenborough in the search window at the top right. Scroll through the search results until you find VR Movies.
- To see them in the best possible quality, follow these steps: Click on the three dots in the image and select Record in high quality first then Hidden. Allow caching if prompted.
- If you do everything correctly, the movie will download in the best quality. This version has a higher resolution than the streaming version.
- Once the download is complete, click Your media in Meta Quest TV. After downloading, the episode appears under Cached Media.
- To remove the episode from the device, click the three dots again and select Delete from cache.
- You can also add the VR movies to your watchlist through the browser.